Revealed during a Nintendo Direct live stream on Wednesday, Skyward Sword for Switch will feature “smoother and more intuitive” controls, in addition to improved 60fps framerate and graphics, according to the platform holder.
The original Wii game, which was released in November 2011, was reliant on the Wii Motion Plus peripheral for sword combat and puzzles.
On Switch, controls have been redesigned for the console’s Joy-Cons, or by using the right analog stick to direct sword swings while in handheld mode, on Switch Lite or with a Pro Controller.
Nintendo also confirmed a pair of Zelda-themed Joy-Con controllers, which will release alongside Skyward Sword in July:
Nintendo previously released remasters for Zelda’s two earlier 3D entries, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, for Wii U. Both titles featured upgraded visuals and gameplay additions.
The Legend of Zelda series will celebrate its 35th anniversary this weekend, on February 21.
Last year marked the 35th anniversary of the Super Mario series, and Nintendo celebrated the ocassion with two time-limited releases: the free download game Super Mario Bros 35 and the full-price compilation Super Mario 3D All-Stars.
It’s possible that further Zelda games will be released this year to mark the 35th anniversary.
Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma appeared during Wednesday’s Direct to apologise to fans for the lack of updates on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2.
Aonuma said development of the game was “proceeding smoothly” and Nintendo planned to provide more details later this year.
“I‘m sure a lot of you saw me and thought there might be news about the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game,” Aonuma said. “Unfortunately, we don’t have anything to share right now. We apologise.”
Nintendo Direct news Feb 2021
- Splatoon 3 is real and releasing next year
- Zelda: Skyward Sword is coming to Switch with new controls
- A new Mario Golf is coming to Switch with a full Story Mode
- Smash Bros. Ultimate’s next DLC fighter is Pyra/Mythra from Xenoblade
- Zelda producer apologises for lack of Breath of the Wild 2 updates
- Animal Crossing’s Mario items include functioning Warp Pipes
- Square Enix reveals RPG Project Triangle Strategy with surprise Switch demo
- Fall Guys is coming to Nintendo Switch summer 2021
- No More Heroes 3 is coming in August 2021
- Outer Wilds will release for Switch summer 2021
- Ninja Gaiden remasters are coming to consoles and PC in June
- Nintendo’s avatar-themed RPG Miitopia is coming to Switch
- EA partners with Mario Kart Live studio for Knockout City
- Star Wars: Hunters is a new squad-based arena combat game