Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.
Prior to the update, which is now available to members of the Xbox Insider programme who are part of the Alpha ring, Xbox Series X consoles had been rendering the dashboard and other UI elements at 1080p.
Microsoft didn’t go as far as to specifically call this a 4K UI update in its patch notes, meaning the higher native resolution might fall short of 4K.
“With today’s update, Alpha Insiders on Xbox Series X consoles connected to a 4K display can begin flighting an increased resolution UI,” it said.
“This change means Home, Guide, and other areas of the UI will be displayed in a higher native resolution for increased sharpness and text readability.”
June’s public Xbox system update added party chat support for transcribing speech into text and synthesis of speech from text, to aid players who are deaf or have trouble hearing and/or cannot or choose not to speak.
Meanwhile, Xbox’s May 2021 system update featured improvements to Quick Resume, including greater reliability and faster load times, passthrough audio for media apps, and the ability to approve multiplayer games for kids by specific title.
Xbox Insider ver. 2109.210813-2200 patch notes
New features and experiences
- With today’s update, Alpha Insiders on Xbox Series X consoles connected to a 4K display can begin flighting an increased resolution UI. This change means Home, Guide, and other areas of the UI will be displayed in a higher native resolution for increased sharpness and text readability.
Thanks to the hard work of Xbox engineers, we are happy to announce the following fixes have been implemented for this build:
- Various updates to properly reflect local languages across the console.
- Note: Users participating in Preview may see “odd” text across the console, for more information go here.
We understand some issues have been listed in previous Xbox Insider Release Notes. These items aren’t being ignored, but it will take Xbox engineers more time to find a solution.
We’re still tracking these known issues:
- Some users have reported that they are not hearing any audio with Dolby Atmos enabled.
Dolby Vision for Gaming
- We’ve received reports from users that Dolby Vision for Gaming is not working at this time. We’re aware of the issue and working on an update to resolve this. Keep an eye out on the release notes for updates.
- Pins related to the new Edge browser will not work if you decide to remove your console from the Xbox Update Preview.
- Workaround: Pins should be deleted and re-added.
- We’ve received reports that controller input is not working when a game is launched.
- Workaround: Reboot the console and relaunch the game.
- We are investigating reports of the audio mixer being unable to adjust chat/game audio levels.
- Some users have reported that trying to launch the Guide via controller brings up the power menu instead.
- We’ve received some reports that HDMI-CEC is not working correctly.
- Note: Ensure that your TV supports HDMI-CEC and is also enabled before filing feedback.
- Some users have reported that the icon for a disc-based title is not appearing on the dashboard.
- We’ve received reports some users are seeing a black/blank screen after installing an update. We’re aware and investigating.
- Workaround: Some users have reported a simple reboot resolves the issue. If that doesn’t work, a factory reset should get the console back up and running again. Instructions can be found here under “Reset using your console” and selecting the “Reset and keep my games & apps” option.
- Some users have reported apps and games cannot be re-installed after failing to launch repeatedly.
- Workaround: A factory reset will need to be performed. Instructions can be found here under “Reset using your console” and selecting the “Reset and keep my games & apps” option.
My Games & Apps
- Titles in collection may incorrectly appear with a “trial” tag.
- There are several sections of the dashboard that the Narrator does not currently read. We are aware of the issue and investigating.