Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.
World of Warcraft expansion Shadowlands announced
Cinematic and features trailers released ahead of expansion’s 2020 launch
Blizzard has announced World of Warcraft: Shadowlands, a new expansion for the MMO launching in 2020.
The expansion was revealed during the BlizzCon 2019 opening ceremony, which was also used to announce Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2.
According to the official announcement: “Sylvanas Windrunner, fallen leader of the Horde, has pierced the veil between Azeroth and the realm of the dead, setting in motion a series of events that threatens to upset the cosmic balance between life and death.”
Blizzard said World of Warcraft: Shadowlands will be available on or before December 31, 2020.
- Further reading: World of Warcraft Dragonflight release date, beta, news and more | 2022 games
It released the cinematic trailer above and the features overview trailer below to accompany the Shadowlands announcement.
WoW: Shadowlands key features
- Explore the Realm of the Dead: For the first time ever in World of Warcraft, players will cross into the Shadowlands and experience the wonders and horrors of the afterlife across five new zones—the gleaming fields of Bastion, the scarred battlefields of Maldraxxus, the eternal twilight of Ardenweald, the opulent keeps of Revendreth, and the horrific Maw.
- Claim a Covenant’s Power: Players will be called upon to forge a bond with one of four Covenants that rule Shadowlands’ new zones, setting the tone for their journey through the expansion with a full Covenant Campaign. As they level up, they’ll get new abilities based on their choice, including class-specific abilities for each Covenant—as well as developing Soulbinds with specific Covenant members, which grant them access to that character’s specific traits and bonuses.
- Ascend the Tower of the Damned: At the heart of the Maw lies Torghast, Tower of the Damned, a cursed otherworldly prison where the wickedest souls in the universe are locked away. Highly replayable and inspired by roguelike games, heroes are invited to explore its ever-changing halls and chambers and do battle with the minions of the Jailer, Torghast’s vile ruler. Those who brave its trials can claim legendary treasures and help free the heroic spirits wrongfully trapped within.
- Every Level Is Meaningful: Shadowlands will introduce a new leveling system, meant to provide a meaningful sense of advancement with every level achieved. Current max-level characters will begin Shadowlands at level 50 and work toward the new level cap of 60.
- A New Army of the Dead Rises: To combat Sylvanas’ assault on Icecrown, Bolvar Fordragon— the revered former paladin who took on the mantle of Lich King to keep the Scourge at bay—has raised heroes from among all the peoples of Azeroth to bolster the Death Knights of Acherus. With Shadowlands, pandaren and all allied races will now be able to become Death Knights.
- Improved Character Customization Options: A host of new appearance options for all races will be made available to players when they create new World of Warcraft characters (or alter existing ones at the in-game barber shop).
Three editions of World of Warcraft: Shadowlands are now available to pre-purchase.
Blizzard president J. Allen Brack opened BlizzCon 2019 with an apology for the way the company handled the recent Hearthstone Hong Kong esports controversy.