Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.
Wasteland 3 will release on May 19, 2020, InXile announced at X019 on Thursday.
Studio Head Brian Fargo appeared on Xbox’s Inside Xbox live stream on Thursday to announce the release date and debut a new gameplay trailer.
Microsoft acquired InXile in 2018. Fargo said the partnership with Xbox has helped to allow the team to make Wasteland 3 “the biggest and best game” of the franchise, demonstrated by its recent award of best RPG at Gamescom.
The series, one of the first to pioneer the post-apocalypse genre in video games, returns players to the role of Desert Rangers, lawmen in a post-nuclear world working to rebuild civilisation from the ashes.
In addition to narrative choices and consequences, and the turn-based combat the series is known for, Wasteland 3 introduces a dynamic conversation system, an upgradable player vehicle, and the ability to play through the storyline cooperatively.
According to inXile CEO Brian Fargo, “Wasteland 3 is a passion project for inXile and especially me. I directed the first Wasteland in 1988 and its sequel was one of the original great crowdfunding successes, and it’s a series we care deeply about.
“Thanks to our partnership with Deep Silver and Microsoft, we’re able to deliver the kind of deep, immersive experience that Wasteland fans want and expect.”
- Rare announces Everwild, a “truly original” new IP led by Conker artist
- Obsidian reveals ‘passion project’ survival game Grounded
- Xbox and Dontnod’s new game ‘stars first transgender game hero’
- Xbox to add PS4 controller support with xCloud
- Microsoft announces Xbox Black Friday deals
- Halo: Reach releases for Xbox One and PC on December 3
- 40+ Xbox Games Pass titles revealed including Witcher 3, Final Fantasy franchise
- Yakuza and Kingdom Hearts games are coming to Xbox
- Xbox has ‘more unannounced games than we know what to do with’
- Wasteland 3 release set for May 2020
- Final Fantasy 14 will come to Xbox, says Phil Spencer
- Xbox is ‘shifting focus’ away from studio acquisitions
- Age of Empires 4 premieres first gameplay video