Metacritic has revealed what would happen if The Game Awards winners were decided by Metacritic score, rather than a jury vote.
The review aggregator has launched a new awards tracker to note which games have received wins or nominations for major industry awards.
Currently, it only covers the nominations for The Game Awards, which were announced on Monday.
Over time, Metacritic will add the winners and nominees for the BAFTA Games Awards, DICE Awards, Game Developers Choice Awards, New York Game Awards and its own Metacritic Game of the Year.
As it stands now, the list provides a fun way to see which game would win each category at The Game Awards, were the results chosen purely in terms of Metacritic score.
The Game Awards 2023 winners (if they were decided by Metacritic)
- Game of the Year – Baldur’s Gate 3
- Best Independent Game – Dave the Diver
- Best Debut Indie Game – Pizza Tower
- Best VR / AR Game – Gran Turismo 7
- Best Multiplayer – Baldur’s Gate 3
- Best Mobile Game – Terra Nil
- Best Narrative – Baldur’s Gate 3
- Best Art Direction – The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
- Best Action Game – Hi-Fi Rush
- Best Action/Adventure Game – The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
- Best Fighting Game – Street Fighter 6
- Best RPG – Baldur’s Gate 3
- Best Sim/Strategy Game – Pikmin 4
- Best Sports/Racing Game – Forza Motorsport
- Best Family Game – Super Mario Bros Wonder
The Game Awards will be streamed live from the Peacock Theatre in Los Angeles on Thursday, December 7.
There are 31 awards up for grabs in total at this year’s Game Awards, with the winners set to be determined by a blended vote between the voting jury comprised of global media publications (90%) – which includes VGC – and public fan voting (10%).
Baldur’s Gate 3 and Alan Wake 2 are both up for eight prizes, ahead of Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, which is up for seven awards.
Last year’s ninth edition of the annual event was a major production featuring musical performances from an on-stage orchestra and Hozier, celebrity guests, an awards show, new game reveals and more.