Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.
Nintendo has tested over 40 Game Boy Advance games for its Switch emulator, according to data pulled from a build leaked this weekend.
According to known dataminer MondoMega, more than 40 games are either included or referenced within the leaked GBA emulator files. As noted by the user, this doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll launch with any likely Game Boy Nintendo Switch Online service.
Files for the Switch emulators began circulating on social media this weekend, including a Game Boy emulator called ‘Hiyoko’ and a Game Boy Advance emulator named ‘Sloop’.
The emulators were reportedly dumped from a Switch console, suggesting that work may be underway to include the classic handheld systems as part of Nintendo Switch Online.
The leaked GBA build also reportedly includes various games, as well as references to others, including first-party titles such as The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap and Metroid Fusion, as well as third-party games including Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Mega Man Battle Network 2.
The GBA emulator games reportedly tested by Nintendo include:
- Astro Boy: Omega Factor
- Car Battler Joe
- Castlevania: Aira of Sorrow
- Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
- ChuChu Rocket!
- Drill Dozer
- Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
- Game & Watch Gallery 4
- Golden Sun
- Golden Sun: The Lost Age
- Gunstar Super Heroes
- Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
- Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
- Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
- Koro Koro Puzzle Happy Panechu!
- Kuru Kuru Kururin
- Lufia: The Ruins of Lore
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- Mario Golf. Advance Tour
- Mario Kart Super Circuit
- Mario Party Advance
- Mario Tennis: Power Tour
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong
- Mega Man Battle Network 5 – Team ProtoMan
- Mega Man Battle Network 2
- Mega Man Zero 3
- Metroid Fusion
- Metroid: Zero Mission
- Driller 2
- Ninja Five-O
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
- Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
- Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation
- Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
- Wario Land 4
- WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!
- Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3
- The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
According to MondoMega, the leaked GBA emulator also includes plenty of screenshots of Pokémon games Ruby, Saphire and Emerald, suggesting those titles have also been tested for the emulator.
The build for the Game Boy Color emulator is said to be a lot earlier than GBA, and only includes four games: Super Mario Land, Link’s Awakening DX, Tetris and Qix.
It has been speculated for some time that both Game Boy consoles would join Nintendo Switch Online’s classic games offering, with multiple sources claiming last year that Game Boy and Game Boy Color games were likely to be added “really soon”.
In early 2019, dataminer OatmealDome discovered that the NES Switch Online app contained references to four emulators – Kachikachi, Canoe, Hiyoko and Count.