Paradox Interactive has released the Early Access version of Surviving the Aftermath in a surprise launch.
Announced earlier this month, the post-apocalyptic follow-up to Surviving Mars is available via the Epic Games store and Xbox Game Preview for an early-bird discount of $19.99 / £15.49 / €19.99, ahead of its full release (also for Steam and PS4) in late 2020.
Developed by Finnish studio Iceflake, Surviving the Aftermath has players managing a colony of survivors in the shadow of a world-ending event.
“Resources are scarce following the apocalypse, and survival requires mastery of complex systems to optimize production and colony management to ensure nothing is wasted,” reads the game’s official blurb.
“Players will construct buildings, manage colonists, adapt to natural disasters and more in an effort to restore civilization.”
Publisher Paradox said the Early Access launch is intended to involve the community in the development of the game.
“Throughout Surviving Mars’ development we learned the importance of listening to our community and their feedback helped elevate that game to new heights,” said lead producer Nikhat Ali.
“With Surviving the Aftermath we want to get our players involved as early as possible so we can make sure we’re making the game they want to play.
“We have an ambitious content schedule ahead of us that includes monthly updates where we will incorporate feedback from our players and we’re confident the team at Iceflake is the right team for the job.”
Surviving the Aftermath Features:
- No Place Like Home: Build and manage a colony of survivors after a world-ending event. Construct more than 50 unique buildings to handle everything from resource collection and farming to exploration and security. Don’t forget to construct the Gate to venture into the savage world beyond your colony.
- Surviving Earth: Explore a vast procedurally generated world featuring six different biomes filled with exploitable resources, bandits, and more. Each environment has different conditions that will affect your colony’s survival. Stay vigilant: Natural disasters will put your survivors to the test.
- Survival is my Specialty: Recruit over 46 unique Specialists, each with their own skills and motivations, to manage your colony’s resources and production. Send them beyond the Gate on scientific missions, scavenger runs, and to fight bandits.
- Expect the Unexpected: Life in the aftermath requires you to make moral choices. You may not be able to control everything in your colony, but how you respond to situations and emergent events will shape the character of your new civilization.
- Mods: Surviving the Aftermath players can bring their own visions to life using Paradox Mods.