Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) claims to have identified the culprits behind a recent The Last of Us Part 2 gameplay leak.
In a statement issued to Polygon, the platform holder said that although the company can’t share additional details at this time, it has determined that the source of the leak had no affiliation with either Naughty Dog or SIE.
“SIE has identified the primary individuals responsible for the unauthorized release of TLOU2 assets,” a spokesperson said. “They are not affiliated with Naughty Dog or SIE. We are unable to comment further because the information is subject to an on-going investigation.
“We’re looking forward to when The Last of Us Part II will be in your hands and can’t wait for you to enjoy the full experience on June 19.”
The Last of Us Part 2 story elements leaked via several gameplay videos last month, showing new areas, cut-scenes and menus.
The videos in question were quickly pulled from YouTube but are still being actively circulated on social media sites.
They show key scenes from the unreleased PS4 sequel and contain significant story spoilers.
The Last of Us Part 2 creative director Neil Druckmann said he was “heartbroken” by the pre-release leak.
SIE also said at the time: “We’re disappointed that anyone would release unauthorized pre-launch footage of The Last of Us Part II, disrupt years of Naughty Dog’s hard work and ruin the experience for fans worldwide.
“We want everyone to have the opportunity to play The Last of Us Part II at the same time and ask that viewing or sharing of the unauthorized footage be avoided.”
SIE announced on Monday that, following two delays, The Last of Us Part 2 will be released on June 19.