Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.
Sony provides update on God of War Ragnarök accessibility, but still no release date
Sony Santa Monica has revealed more than 60 new features
Sony has provided an update on God of War Ragnarök‘s accessibility features in a new blog, but there’s still no official word on a release date.
The accessibility features, which include a high contrast mode and the ability to increase the size of in-game text and quest icons have been present across other PlayStation Studios games such as The Last of Us Part 2.
Some of the features have been carried over from the PC release of God of War, which introduced auto-sprint and other accessibility features.
In addition to this, a new, audio described version of the game’s reveal trailer has also been released and can be watched below.
The God of War Ragnarök release date is still on track for 2022, one of the game’s lead developers recently claimed.
In April, developer Sony Santa Monica Studio published a video in which series head Cory Barlog asked fans to remain patient for news on the upcoming God of War sequel.
The video led to some concern that the God of War Ragnarök release date could have slipped. However, the game’s animation director Bruno Velazquez later confirmed: “Ragnarok is coming this year.”
You can read the full list of accessibility features revealed today below.
God of War (2018) PC Features – Added to God of War Ragnarök
- Sprint Auto Sprint: You will sprint while the stick is held and stop when released. When Auto Sprint is active, you can begin sprinting by pressing the move stick forward for a short period of time in one direction. The duration required to engage the Auto Sprint is configurable by you.
- Persistent Dot (Always on Reticle): If you need additional focal points to reduce motion sickness, or just want a persistent reminder of the center of the screen, we offer the ability to turn on a center dot in three different sizes and seven different colors.
- Aim Style: You can choose to use either hold or toggle on/off the aim stance.
- Block Style: You can choose to use either hold or toggle on/off the shield stance.
New to God of War Ragnarök
- Subtitle and Caption Size: We have increased our minimum text size and added new scaling. This includes an extra-large text size to make subtitles and captions more readable. We have also dedicated a larger text area to match TV and movie subtitle standards.
- Subtitle and Caption Colors: You can adjust the colors of speaker names, subtitle body, and captions individually. You will be able choose between seven different colors.
- Speaker Names (Retained options from 2018): As in God of War (2018), you can show or hide speaker names. You can set this size independent from the UI text size.
- Captions: With expanded sound effects captions, we’ve added several new ways to understand in-game sound. We’ve added captions to both cinematics and gameplay to provide a rich understanding of the soundscape of the world. You can also enable captions for critical gameplay information to assist with puzzles and narrative understanding.
- Subtitle and Caption Background Blur: We’ve included options to allow for blurring the background behind subtitles and captions to make them more readable over complex scenes.
- Subtitle Background (Retained options from 2018): In addition to blur, we’ve included options to darken the background behind subtitles for better readability on snow. High contrast backing includes multiple opacity settings for you to select from.
- Direction Indicator: Critical gameplay sounds now have an optional direction indicator which shows the direction a sound is coming from. To assist with puzzles that have sound cues, this indicator will help you orient towards the source of an important sound.
- Text Size / Icon Size: Players can adjust the size of in-game text and icons so that they can be comfortably read from any distance.
- High Contrast Activation Customization: Select off, on, or always on for gameplay only (this will exclude cinematics). High contrast mode can be set to toggle on and off from a swipe for easy access. This mode will automatically disable when in a settings menu or character menu.
- High Contrast Color Customization: Select a color palette that fits your playstyle and adjust individual colors for characters, enemies, and items.
- High Contrast Background Customization: Separately select mid-tone or darkened background contrast levels.
Navigation Assist: New to God of War, this camera navigation system allows you to orient your view towards your compass objective. When not in combat, pressing the Navigation Assist button will orient your view in the direction of the next story goal.
*Traversal Assistance: Gap jumping, vaulting, mantling, and other traversal features can now be automated based on the direction you press.
Assistance +: Adds interaction-based moves like climbs, crawls, and squeeze-through.
- Audio Cues: We have linked a sound cue to each of the on-screen interact prompts, so that when using this feature, you can hear when an interact icon is nearby, as well as when the button prompt becomes active.