Red Dead Redemption 2 launched for PC on Tuesday, but many players encountered a crash error with the message, “Red Dead Redemption 2 exited unexpectedly.”
[UPDATE: Rockstar has now recommended disabling anti-virus software, updating the Rockstar Launcher and clearing local profile details]
[UPDATE 2: New Red Dead Redemption 2 and Rockstar Games Launcher updates have been released in a bid to reduce crash errors being experienced by PC players.]
Rockstar Games Launcher update notes
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error “The Rockstar Games Launcher failed to initialize” on startup
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher preload decryption getting stuck and not completing
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error “The Rockstar Games Launcher exited unexpectedly” when launching Red Dead Redemption 2
- Fixed an issue that resulted in crashes when starting the Rockstar Games Launcher from the Epic Games Launcher
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error “Unable to launch game, please verify your game data” when launching Red Dead Redemption 2 from the Epic Games Launcher
However, many players are reporting still encountering crashes after downloading the latest Rockstar Games Launcher update.
Rockstar is asking affected users to open customer support tickets in order to receive personal support, although users are complaining of receiving automated responses and long wait times.
In a statement issued to VGC on Tuesday, Rockstar said the most common cause of the “Red Dead Redemption 2 exited unexpectedly” error was out of date graphics drivers and recommend users download up to date versions.
However, numerous users have reported that shutting down anti-virus software or adding the game as an exception can fix the crash issue. Exceptions should also be added to Firewalls if needed.
Alternatively, Rockstar suggests booting the game in safe mode or updating your graphics drivers. Users can also verify their game files in the My Installed Games (Rockstar launcher) or Library (Epic Games Store) tabs.
Red Dead Redemption 2 will be released on Steam in December.