Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart reviews have gone live ahead of the game’s release this week.
Billed as an “interdimensional adventure” that uses the PS5’s SSD to rapidly transport players between different locations, the game will be released for Sony’s console on June 11.
The standard version of the title costs $69.99 / £69.99 and the Digital Deluxe Edition is priced at $79.99 / £79.99.
The latter comes with the base game plus five additional armour sets, 20 Raritanium to put towards upgrading weapons, a sticker pack to use in the franchise’s first ever photo mode, a digital artbook and a digital soundtrack.
VGC’s Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart review calls the game “a sumptuous showcase of what the PS5 can do.”
Critics are largely positive in their write-ups, with many also calling the game a technical showstopper and one of the best entries in the series to date.
On review aggregation site Metacritic, the game currently has a Metascore of 88 based on 66 reviews.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart review round-up
- VGC (4/5) – “A true showcase of the PS5 and its DualSense controller. Ratchet & Clank has never felt so good.”
- EGM (10/10) – “Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is the first game I’ve played since the ninth-generation consoles launched that feels like a true next-gen title.”
- Destructoid (9/10) – “Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart isn’t afraid to revel in its mascot-platformer roots, but it manages to knock so many of its competitors completely out of the water.”
- Wccftech (9.5/10) – “Through outstanding storytelling, exquisite visuals, and gripping gameplay, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart proves to be an engaging, fun, funny, and thoroughly enjoyable return to the series.”
- The Gamer (4.5/5) – “Rift Apart is a magnificent game, one that sets the series on a clear path forward. Wherever it goes next, Rivet has to be there.”
- The Telegraph (4/5) – “An enjoyable old school caper with impeccable next gen credentials.”
- GamesBeat (5/5) – “Rift Apart is a special game. And as long as Sony Interactive Entertainment has Insomniac releasing games like this for the PS5, I’m going keep showing up on day one with $70 in hand, ready for the next adventure.”
- GamesRadar (5 /5) – “As well as the looks and the fancy tech, it feels like the story-telling of the series has really evolved with Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart.”
- IGN (9/10) – “Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is a fantastic PS5 exclusive showpiece for the console’s power, and a delightful adventure in its own right.”
- Metro (7/10) – “The graphics are absolutely stunning but the gameplay is predictable and surprisingly uneventful, as the game fails to leverage its technical achievements for anything more than straightforward spectacle.”
- Videogamer (8/10) – “Even if you have your doubts, it’s difficult not to smile at the graphical and cinematic fireworks on display; Sony ordered a parade for the PS5, and Insomniac has served it to us. The arsenal has been upped, and size, it turns out, does matter.”
- GameSpot (9/10) – “Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is flashy and technically impressive without feeling self-important. It’s just as silly, sweet, and earnest as the Ratchet & Clank series tends to be, while the new generation of hardware makes this entry look and play better than ever.”
- VG247 (4/5) – “Miles Morales and Demon’s Souls were superb launch titles for the PS5, but we’re now through the looking glass. The bar has been set. The PS5 has arrived.”
- Eurogamer (Recommended) – “It’s just pure craft, pure fun, pure video games – all the brilliant, bizarre ideas this studio has just thrown at the wall and all of them sticking.”
- Push Square (8/10) – “Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is the best game in the series since Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, which franchise fans will recognise as high praise.”
- Game Informer (9/10) – “It’s a great continuation of the series that is just a joy to play. It steals your eye with its stunning vistas, makes you care about the characters, and is loaded to the hilt with fan service.”
- TheSixthAxis (9/10) – “Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is the PlayStation 5 showcase you have been waiting for.”
- Shacknews (9/10) – “Whether you’ve had adventures with Ratchet & Clank in the past or not, Rift Apart is not a game to be missed. It’s one of the best games you can get for your PS5 and one of the best games of 2021 so far, period.”