The game was announced at Microsoft’s X019 event in London, where it was confirmed that the game is still in pre-production.
“While Everwild is still early in development, we are very excited about the unique potential of the game we are creating,” studio head Craig Duncan said in a prepared statement.
“The Everwild team is focused on building an experience that allows for new ways to play in a natural and magical world,” he added.
“Everwild will give you memorable, engaging and meaningful experiences for players everywhere to share. We cannot wait to share more with you in the future.”
Rare head Duncan said O’Connor “is creating something truly original and incredibly special that aims to be more than just a new IP.”
The Everwild team will get “everything they need” to build the game, Duncan added, while emphasising that the studio is still “fully committed” to share world game Sea of Thieves.
“Having two large games in development represents a tremendous opportunity for Rare and the talented staff here as we grow and further evolve the studio to meet the challenges of simultaneously operating a successful live service and being in pre-production for a new IP,” he said.
“While Everwild and the team building it will get everything they need, we are still fully committed to Sea of Thieves — Joe, Mike, Shelley and the team still have plenty of creative ideas and plans to bring to Sea of Thieves for a long time to come and we have a number of central teams that support both games.”
- Rare announces Everwild, a “truly original” new IP led by Conker artist
- Obsidian reveals ‘passion project’ survival game Grounded
- Xbox and Dontnod’s new game ‘stars first transgender game hero’
- Xbox to add PS4 controller support with xCloud
- Microsoft announces Xbox Black Friday deals
- Halo: Reach releases for Xbox One and PC on December 3
- 40+ Xbox Games Pass titles revealed including Witcher 3, Final Fantasy franchise
- Yakuza and Kingdom Hearts games are coming to Xbox
- Xbox has ‘more unannounced games than we know what to do with’
- Wasteland 3 release set for May 2020
- Final Fantasy 14 will come to Xbox, says Phil Spencer
- Xbox is ‘shifting focus’ away from studio acquisitions
- Age of Empires 4 premieres first gameplay video