In a statement published on Monday, the platform holder said it wanted to “stand back and allow more important voices to be heard.”
It said: “While we understand gamers worldwide are excited to see PS5 games, we do not feel that right now is a time for celebration and for now, we want to stand back and allow more important voices to be heard.”
Protests have been held in cities across the US this weekend, sparked by the death of African American George Floyd while in police custody, with many leading to riots.
On Sunday Sony had tweeted a strongly-worded message of support for the protests, stating that it believed that being silent about the violence and racism Black people experience was “being complicit.”
Sony-owned game studio Naughty Dog added in its own message that “now is not the time for any of us to be silent. For too long have too many suffered under a systemic problem in America.” It added: “Now is the time for all to do our part and end anti-Black racism and violence.”
“There are few things as exciting as the launch of a new console,” Ryan said at the time. “While this road to launch has been a bit… different, we are as thrilled as ever to bring you with us on this journey to redefine the future of videogames.”
Sony had been advertising the PS5 event on US television, suggesting that it planned to showcase a significant reveal of its next-gen console plans.