Outer Wilds will release for Switch summer 2021
Award-winning sci-fi game is headed to Nintendo’s console
Outer Wilds will be released for Nintendo Switch in the summer of 2021.
Developed by Mobius Digital and inspired by films including Apollo 13 and 2001: A Space Odyssey, Outer Wilds is described as an “open world mystery about a solar system trapped in an endless time loop”.
The alpha build of the space exploration game won the Grand Prize and Excellence in Design award at 2015’s Independent Games Festival awards, and Mobius raised over $126,000 through crowdfunding site Fig to help develop it.
While Outer Wilds was originally planned for release on PC, Mac and Linux through Steam, the PC version of the title launched as a timed Epic Games Store exclusive, angering some backers who claimed they wouldn’t have supported the project had they known.
The game debuted for PC and Xbox One (including on Game Pass) in May 2019, before making its way to PS4 in October 2019 and Steam in June 2020.
It won multiple Game of the Year awards from publications including Giant Bomb, Polygon, Eurogamer and The Guardian.
Mobius co-creative lead Loan Verneau has said subscription services like Xbox Game Pass give “weirder things” like Outer Wilds a chance to shine.
Nintendo Direct news Feb 2021
- Splatoon 3 is real and releasing next year
- Zelda: Skyward Sword is coming to Switch with new controls
- A new Mario Golf is coming to Switch with a full Story Mode
- Smash Bros. Ultimate’s next DLC fighter is Pyra/Mythra from Xenoblade
- Zelda producer apologises for lack of Breath of the Wild 2 updates
- Animal Crossing’s Mario items include functioning Warp Pipes
- Square Enix reveals RPG Project Triangle Strategy with surprise Switch demo
- Fall Guys is coming to Nintendo Switch summer 2021
- No More Heroes 3 is coming in August 2021
- Outer Wilds will release for Switch summer 2021
- Ninja Gaiden remasters are coming to consoles and PC in June
- Nintendo’s avatar-themed RPG Miitopia is coming to Switch
- EA partners with Mario Kart Live studio for Knockout City
- Star Wars: Hunters is a new squad-based arena combat game