Ori and the Will of the Wisps reviews have started to go live ahead of the game’s release this week.
Developed by Moon Studios, the action platformer is the follow-up to the 2015’s Ori and the Blind Forest.
VGC’s Ori and the Will of the Wisps review calls it “a gorgeous platformer that builds on the original without ruining what made it so special.”
The game has been widely praised by critics as a worthy sequel and a standout Metroidvania, although many reviewers also report encountering performance issues, most noticeably on the standard Xbox One S, which Microsoft is aiming to address in a day one patch.
Ori and the Will of the Wisps round-up
- VGC (5/5) – “One thing to bear in mind: we did notice a few stutters and bugs here and there, even when playing on an Xbox One X… That aside, Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a truly breathtaking Metroidvania that’s significantly larger than its predecessor and builds on it in every way imaginable.”
- Game Informer (9.5/10) – “Moon Studios has outdone itself with Will of the Wisps, delivering an experience that doesn’t have any lulls, makes the player feel clever, and just keeps getting better as it goes.”
- Stevivor (9/10) – “There are some technical issues, and as a follow-up it doesn’t quite have the same debutant magic of the original, but it’s definitively a better game with expanded choice in combat, a user-friendly save system, and excellent level design that masterfully combines all elements of its gameplay so well it has you believing it is you who is the master.”
- PC Gamer (81/100) – “It trips over its complexity at times, and really doesn’t need so much combat, but it’s gorgeous, funny, and the triple-jumping could go on forever without getting old.”
- Windows Central (4.5/5) – “It’s quite honestly almost absurd that this game costs just $30. Simply put, Ori and the Will of the Wisps has more of a soul than many $60 “AAA” titles I’ve played in recent years, and is a cherishable experience I’m sure I will return to repeatedly for many years to come.”
- Wccftech (8.7/10) – “Ori and the Will of Wisps is a truly delightful and devastating game that blends new ideas into a solid foundation, all topped off with an incredible score and even more breathtaking levels to explore.”
- DualShockers (8.5/10) – “Ori and the Will of the Wisps is an exceptional adventure that every Xbox One owner should play. Despite its technical failings, it is one of the best Metroidvanias I have played this generation (just behind The Messenger and Axiom Verge).”
- EGM Now (4/5) – “Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a true sequel to The Blind Forest. It’s just better in every way. But it also isn’t as memorable as Moon Studios and Xbox Game Studios would like it to be, and that’s because there’s nothing that really makes the game stand out.”
- IGN (9/10) – “In Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Moon Studios has taken an excellent foundation and made even more out of it. Its many new elements expand on and add to the first game’s fun without bogging it down or becoming overcomplicated.”
- PCGamesN (7/10) – “A haunting journey through a woodland with a real sense of place, but its breadth of mechanics silts up the pacing.”
- ShackNews (8/10) – “We are living in the golden age of metroidvanias and Will of the Wisps will deserve to stand with the best of the bunch should its technical shortcomings be resolved.”