Nintendo Switch system update 8.0.0 out now
Adds ability to transfer save data for individual games between consoles
Nintendo has rolled out the latest Switch system update, version 8.0.0.
It introduces the ability to transfer save data for individual games from one console to another, which could prove handy if Nintendo releases new Switch models later this year, as has been widely reported.
Elsewhere, the update adds a feature enabling users to order the appearance of software in the system’s home menu, and the ability to restrict VR mode in the parental control settings.
Nintendo released the Nintendo Labo VR Kit earlier this month. It also plans to add VR support to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey via game updates in late April.
Full details of the system update are posted below, via Nintendo.
Nintendo Switch system update 8.0.0
- A Sort Software feature is available after selecting to view All Software from the HOME Menu
- Software can be sorted by time last played, total play time, software title, and software publisher
- The All Software option displays when there are 13 or more software icons on the HOME Menu
- A View All Available News option is available within News, allowing you to view all news items currently being distributed
- Go to News > Channel List > View More
- Select from 15 new icons from the Splatoon™ 2 and Yoshi’s Crafted World™ games for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the HOME Menu > Profile
- A feature to Transfer Your Save Data is now available, allowing you to transfer your save data for individual games between your Nintendo Switch systems
- Go to System Settings > Data Management > Transfer Your Save Data
- Save data will not remain on your source system after the transfer process completes
- A Zoom feature can be enabled from within System Settings
- Go to System Settings > System to turn Zoom ON
- Once enabled, you can use the Zoom feature by pressing the HOME Button twice
- An option is available to prevent the system from waking from Sleep Mode when an AC adapter is disconnected
- Go to System Settings > Sleep Mode > Wake When AC Adapter is Disconnected
- This also applies when undocking your console
- A VR Mode (3D Visuals) restriction is available within Parental Controls
- This will also be available in the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app through a later update
- Go to System Settings > Parental Controls
- These settings can also be changed from within Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit
- Hong Kong / Taiwan / South Korea is available for selection in Region
- Go to System Settings > System > Region
- The following names have been changed (functionality remains the same)
- Save Data Cloud Backup > Save Data Cloud
- Transfer Your User and Save Data > Transfer Your User Data
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience.
Citing multiple sources including “parts suppliers and software developers”, the Wall Street Journal recently suggested that two new Switch models could be unveiled as early as E3 in June — one offering “enhanced features targeted at avid gamers”, and a second, cheaper alternative created to attract the Nintendo 3DS market.