The debut trailer for the title, which is viewable below, revealed that six sports will be available at launch: tennis, bowling, chanbara (swordplay), football/soccer, badminton and volleyball.
The new iteration of the classic Wii Sports series will be released for Switch on April 29, but an online play test will be held from February 18-20 for Nintendo Switch Online members (see full details below).
Nintendo Switch Sports – Announcement Trailer
- Related: Switch Sports guide and tips
Nintendo said a free update will arrive in the summer, enabling players to play football matches with a Joy-Con controller and the leg strap accessory.
A second free update planned to arrive in the Fall will add golf to the list of playable sports.
Online play will be supported across all sports.
Registration for the game’s online test will open on February 15 at 5pm PT in the US and on February 16 at 9am GMT in the UK.
There will be five test sessions in total, each lasting for 45 minutes. Participants will get the chance to play online matches of bowling, tennis and chambara against random players.
Nintendo Switch Sports playtest times
- February 18 at 7pm-7.45pm PT / February 19 at 3am-3.45am GMT
- February 19 at 3am-3.45am PT / 11am-11.45am GMT
- February 19 at 11am-11.45am PT / 7pm-7.45pm GMT
- February 19 at 7pm-7.45pm PT / February 20 at 3pm-3.45pm GMT
- February 20 at 3am-3.45am PT / 11am-11.45am GMT