Nintendo has said it’s considering various ways to engage with its fans in 2020, following the cancellation of E3.
In a statement issued to press following confirmation that E3 2020 has been cancelled amid concerns over the coronavirus, Nintendo said it would be “flexible” in its marketing plans for the rest of the year.
“Nintendo supports the ESA‘s decision to cancel this year’s E3 to help protect the health and safety of everyone in our industry–our fans, our employees, our exhibitors and our long-time E3 partners,” a spokesperson said.
“We would like to express our concern and support for all those affected by the COVID-19 outbreak during this challenging time.”
It added: “We’ll continue to be flexible and redirect our efforts to other ways of keeping our fans up to date about our activities and products.
“Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, large industry events may be untenable for the foreseeable future. But we are considering various ways to engage with our fans and will have more to share as the year continues.”
Confirming news of E3 2020’s cancellation on Wednesday, organiser the ESA said it was exploring options to coordinate “an online experience to showcase industry announcements and news” in June 2020.
Ubisoft also said it would “explore” the option of a digital event to replace its E3 2020 plans.
According to a report published this week, Nintendo is planning to host a pair of Nintendo Direct presentations in March.
VentureBeat suggests the platform holder will release an indie showcase next week, likely on March 18, which matches what VGC has been told by sources with knowledge of Nintendo’s plans.
Nintendo held a similar Indie Direct during the same period last year to coincide with GDC. GDC 2020 has also been cancelled due to concerns over the COVID-19 coronavirus, but this should not delay plans for a digital presentation.
VentureBeat also claims Nintendo will release a full, general Direct soon after its Indie presentation, “likely” on March 26.
A new Direct this month would end what has become the largest gap between Nintendo Direct presentations since the initiative was introduced. It’s been more than six months since the last full Nintendo Direct presentation in September 2019.