The latter has come in for some stinging criticism from reviewers, with IGN calling it “a poor quality port of a great game that’s all around aggravating to play”, and Nintendo Life advising players who can play the game on other platforms to “stay away from this one for now”.
While series creator Ed Boon recently admitted the state of the Switch version wasn’t ideal and promised it would be fixed, some fans are growing impatient waiting for the game’s first post-launch update to arrive on Nintendo’s console.
The replies to NetherRealm’s tweet announcing the latest patch’s release are peppered with comments from disgruntled Switch players.
No Patch for the Nintendo Switch? Really? pic.twitter.com/23GISZG6mP
— EBellumat #GrooVR (@erasmolbj) October 2, 2023
“Still need a little something (a huge little something) done on Switch,” said The Galway Gamer. “Bugs galore, game crashes, frame rate drops constantly (and that’s in single player mode), load times are huge, Invasions mode is missing. The entire game is barely playable.”
“Is any progress being made on the Switch version of the game, or is it being forgotten?” said Bubby021.
“There’s still no single patch for Switch since release date,” wrote Jesús Despacito. “Really lame, ngl.”
“Where’s the switch?” MateusAguiar said succinctly.
The Switch version of the game is also currently missing the full version of the new Invasions mode, which VGC’s Mortal Kombat 1 review described as “an impressively in-depth single-player adventure, which is explored through an almost tabletop board game-style perspective”.
“To ensure the best possible experience for Switch players at launch, only the introduction for Invasions will be available,” publisher Warner Bros. Games said at the time of the game’s release in mid-September.
“The full breadth of Invasions Season 1 content will be available on Switch in a matter of weeks. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause Switch players and are working to make this update as quickly as possible.”
Mortal Kombat 1 patch notes (XSX, PS5, PC | Oct 2)
General Gameplay Adjustments
- Move list corrections
- Localization fixes
- Fixed an issue that could cause Player 2 to push their opponent away further during certain combo sequences
- Fixed an issue that could cause buffered Kombo Attacks Strings & buffered 2in1-cancelled non Enhanced Special Moves to not be performed if a Kameo Ambush attack that can be canceled or branched from was executed with specific timing
- Fixed an issue causing some of Stryker’s & Sektor’s attacks to be unbreakable
Character Specific Adjustments
- Ashrah – Fixed an issue that could cause Crushing Knee (Towards + Back Kick) to pass through opponents while attacking
- Goro (Kameo) – Stomp is now higher priority when it & his partner’s attacks hit on the same frame
- Havik – Decaying Guard (Back Punch, Front Punch) and Flesh Wound (Back Punch, Back Punch) no longer auto face
- Jax (Kameo) – Ground Pound is now higher priority when it & his partner’s attacks hit on the same frame
- Kung Lao – Kung-Kussion will now auto face when done on the landing frame after jumping over an opponent
- Shujinko (Kameo) – Mimic Ice Klone & Ice Ball will no longer be repeated by an opponent hit by Time Stop
- Fixed issues with the following attacks not working correctly against high parry special moves
- God’s Wrath and Demon’s Wrath can now be high parried
- Light Ascension and Dark Ascension can now be high parried
- (Air) Death Spin can no longer be high parried
- Reflex Tester (Back + Front Punch) can no longer be high parried
- Bleeding Foot (Back + Front Kick) second hit can no longer be high parried
- General Shao
- Power Strike can now be high parried
- Fixed parry inconsistency between Devastator and Klassic Kahn. Both can no longer be high parried
- Johnny Cage
- Ball Buster can now be high parried
- Rising Star can now be high parried
- Shadow Kick can now be high parried
- Sento Stance Lost Way (Forward + Back Punch, Back Punch, Front Punch) can no longer be high parried
- Kung Lao
- Knee Buckle (Back + Front Kick) can now be high parried
- Li Mei
- (Air) Flipping Heel Kick can no longer be high parried
- No Holds Barred (Back + Front Kick, Back Kick) can no longer be high parried
- Enhanced Bad Blood can no longer be high parried
- Electric Fly and (Air) Electric Fly can no longer be high parried
- Enhanced Upflow can no longer be high parried
- Geyser can no longer be high parried
- Death Roll can no longer be high parried
- Falling Fangs can no longer be high parried
- Twisted Kyo can now be high parried
- Shang Tsung
- Old Form Goal Kick (Forward + Font Kick) can no longer be high parried
- Enhanced Low Hairball first hit (kick attack) can now be high parried
- Ice Slide can no longer be high parried
- Drill Kick can now be high parried