The Spec Ops Survival mode won’t be available on other platforms until October 2020, it was confirmed in the Call of Duty Modern Warfare campaign trailer premiered during the PlayStation State of Play live stream on Tuesday.
Activision recently revealed that “most” Call of Duty Modern Warfare gameplay DLC will launch simultaneously for PS4, Xbox One and PC, including new multiplayer maps, multiplayer modes and Spec Ops missions.
However, it also said PS4 players would have an “exciting Day 1 advantage” as part of its ongoing commercial partnership with Sony.
In response to fan frustration over the PS4 exclusive Survival mode, Infinity Ward narrative director Taylor Kurosaki claimed it represents only a “sliver” of the wider Spec Ops offering.
“Survival is 1% of the game,” he said on Twitter. “The other 99% is simultaneous day and date across all platforms. I’d rather have everyone playing 99% of the content at the same time than 100% of the content some time later.”
Kurosaki also said: “We do our BEST every day to give our players the best experience possible. There are decisions that are above all of our pay grades that have to be considered. I understand your feelings, but this is much better than others I have seen.”
During a recent earnings call, Activision’s chief operating officer said the publisher has a number of surprises in store for the “breathtaking” Modern Warfare, “including the largest post-launch content pipeline in franchise history”.