Call of Duty: Modern Warfare claimed the top spot on the UK all formats chart during the week ended December 21 following a 42% jump in sales week-on-week.
It means a Call of Duty game has now held the Christmas No.1 spot nine times. The last time the series topped the chart at Christmas was in 2017, when Call of Duty: WW2 was No.1. Last year Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption 2 took the crown.
Respawn’s action adventure game enjoyed a 23% sales increase week-on-week, coinciding with Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’s theatrical release last Thursday.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Luigi’s Mansion 3 rounded off the top five, ahead of Pokémon Sword, Just Dance 2020, Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games, and Crash Bandicoot Games titles N.Sane Trilogy and Crash Team Racing,
The UKIE/GfK UK chart only covers physical sales.
UK chart for week ended December 21
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Activision)
- FIFA 20 (EA)
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (EA)
- Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)
- Luigi’s Mansion 3 (Nintendo)
- Pokémon Sword (Nintendo)
- Just Dance 2020 (Ubisoft)
- Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo Olympic Games (Sega)
- Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy (Activision)
- Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (Activision)
A Modern Warfare update released last week introduced new maps, a fresh game mode and new Spec Ops experiences.
Activision claims Modern Warfare’s multiplayer component is the most played at launch of any Call of Duty game this generation.