Call of Duty: Modern Warfare reviews have started to go live to coincide with the game’s release today.
Modern Warfare features a unified narrative experience and progression across the entire game including campaign, multiplayer and Special Ops missions, and for the first time in the series PC and console players can play together online via cross-platform play.
Publisher Activision also recently confirmed that “most” Call of Duty Modern Warfare gameplay DLC will launch simultaneously for all platforms, including new multiplayer maps, modes and Spec Ops missions. However, the PS4 version of the game will include an exclusive Special Ops Survival mode.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare review round-up
- VGC (4/5) – “Modern Warfare feels like the first page in a brand new chapter for Call of Duty.”
- GameSpot review in progress (7/10) – “Modern Warfare stumbles at points, but strong campaign missions and smart multiplayer additions keep it from falling too far.”
- IGN campaign review (8.2/10) – “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is the best CoD campaign in nearly a decade, thanks to fast pacing and great variety.”
- Metro campaign review (7/10) – “The Call Of Duty campaigns have often felt like their own separate games and this more than ever feels like it probably should have been.”
- PCGamesN (8/10) – “While not every multiplayer addition is as good as it could be, Modern Warfare’s campaign sets a new gold standard for the series that will be hard for sequels to match.”
- PC Gamer (80/100) – “ Modern Warfare is a promising platform for new ideas, but the sentiment will carry little weight if Activision shoves this game aside and we’re talking about Black Ops 5 in 2020. For now, it’s the Call of Duty to beat.”
- PlayStation Lifestyle (9/10) – “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare sets a benchmark for the future of games. The amazing new technology it utilizes gives it a level of quality and polish that’s rarely seen outside of first-party studios.”
- Windows Central (4/5) – “Modern Warfare is an excellent addition to the Call of Duty franchise. The story felt like a serialized TV show, and most of the multiplayer action is fun. There are few places where the game falls, but not enough for me not to recommend it.”
- Game Informer (8.75/10) – “Modern Warfare’s accomplishments may not be as pronounced as Black Ops 4’s (Blackout being one of them), but it still delivers a hell of a multiplayer experience. Gunfight alone is worth the price of admission.”
- VentureBeat (89/100) – “Ultimately, I think it is a good game because it might very well be the only way a new generation of players learns about modern warfare.”
- Daily Star (4/5) – “In general, Call of Duty Modern Warfare is a tight shooter that hits most of the parts you expect from a AAA shooter, while throwing heaps of new ideas into the mix.”
Modern Warfare PS4 bundles including 500GB and 1TB PS4 consoles are available in selected countries outside of the US and Canada too.