Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.
The Steve and Alex figures were originally due to release in the Spring, alongside Min Min from Arms.
However, while Min Min was released in April, Steve and Alex were delayed due to what Nintendo called “a logistics and production delay”.
Nintendo has now confirmed that both figures will be released on September 9.
The figures are part of Nintendo’s ongoing collection of Super Smash Bros amiibo, with the aim being to release figures of every playable fighter in the game, including DLC.
Steve and Alex were added to Super Smash Bros Ultimate as DLC fighters in late 2020, with their reveal causing Twitter to crash.
The social network went down temporarily as soon as the crossover was revealed in a short video presentation, which can be viewed above.
Following the release of Steve and Alex, only five Smash Bros amiibo will be left – Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, Pyra and Mythra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Kazuya from Tekken and Sora from Kingdom Hearts.
After the release of the final DLC character late last year, Smash Bros director Masahiro Sakurai said he was undecided if he’d make another entry.
“I’m not thinking about a sequel,” Sakurai told Famitsu magazine. “But I can’t say that this is definitely the last Smash Bros.”
He added: “I need to think about whether we should release another Smash Bros. game at the risk of disappointing the users.”
Later in the interview, Sakurai reportedly told the publication that he did not believe the Smash Bros. series could continue without his involvement.
“I can’t see any way to produce Smash Bros. without me,” he said. “To be honest, I’d like to leave it to someone else, and I’ve actually tried that, but it hasn’t worked out.”
He continued: “If we’re going to continue with the series, Nintendo and I need to discuss and seriously consider how to make it a success.”