Nintendo explains: “Who is that enemy attacking Samus at the start of the trailer? Is that … a living Chozo? The Chozo are highly intelligent and technologically advanced species who wish to bring peace to the galaxy. But a living Chozo is a very rare sight – especially one attacking Samus!”
In addition, the two-minute video also showcases some of Samus’ abilities – both new and ones previously seen in other games in the series.
- Flash Shift– “This all-new Aeion Ability lets Samus travel a set distance – forward or backward, while on the ground or in the air – in an instant.”
- Pulse Radar–”This handy Aeion Ability allows Samus to scan her immediate surroundings and pinpoint breakable blocks.”
- Grapple Beam– “A rope-like beam that can connect to specific points, the Grapple Beam allows Samus to swing across gaps or manipulate parts of her environment, such as pulling an object.”
- Ice Missile– “By using this cool upgrade, Samus can freeze enemies to easily destroy them or even use some of them as platforms!”
- Storm Missile– “With the Storm Missiles, Samus can lock on to and fire multiple small missiles in succession.”
- Cross Bomb– “This powerful bomb explodes in four directions.”
- Speed Booster– “This ability allows her to run at great speed, dealing damage to enemies and smashing through certain walls.”
- Shinespark– “True Metroid experts know all about this electrifying move, which can be activated to have Samus fly in a set direction while in her Speed Booster state.”
- Screw Attack– “A classic move that has been in every single 2D Metroid game, the Screw Attack finds Samus damaging enemies and shattering certain obstacles during a spin jump.”
Metroid Dread will be released on Nintendo Switch on October 8.