Lawsuit over Cyberpunk 2077’s troubled launch to be filed with the court in June
“As of today, we are not aware of a value of a potential claim,” says CD Projekt
CD Projekt has provided an update on the legal proceedings being brought against the company over Cyberpunk 2077’s troubled launch.
The Polish company confirmed last week that four class action lawsuits filed in the US had been consolidated and that a lead plaintiff had been appointed ahead of potential common court proceedings.
Asked to provide an update on the matter during a shareholder meeting on Tuesday, board member and chief financial officer Piotr Nielubowicz said through a translator that the lawsuit is due to be filed with the court next month.
“The court has selected a representative of the opposing party, a law firm representing them and their lead plaintiff – that is the main person representing that claiming party,” Nielubowicz said.
“As of today, we are not aware of a value of a potential claim. The actual suit shall be filed with the court until the end of June.”
The legal action is in relation to Cyberpunk 2077’s troubled launch, centred around criticism of the game’s performance on PS4 and Xbox One and its removal from the PlayStation Store, which saw CD Projekt’s share price fall by 15% on December 18.
The lawsuits included at least two class actions from some of CD Projekt’s own shareholders, who allege that the company violated federal laws by misleading investors over the quality of Cyberpunk 2077 on consoles, causing them to incur damages.
According to the first lawsuit filed in December, CD Projekt made false and/or misleading statements and/or failed to disclose that Cyberpunk 2077 was “virtually unplayable on the current-generation Xbox or PlayStation systems due to an enormous number of bugs.”
It goes on to state that issues with the console version caused “reputational and pecuniary harm” due to Sony’s decision to remove Cyberpunk 2077 from the PlayStation Store, and other platform holders subsequently offering full refunds.
CD Projekt said “the content” of a second lawsuit brought against it in January, “including its subject and scope, is the same” as the December class action.
In a statement responding to the class action in December, CD Projekt said it would “undertake vigorous action to defend itself against any such claims.”
CD Projekt also said during Tuesday’s shareholder meeting that it is still awaiting Sony’s approval to bring Cyberpunk 2077 back to the PlayStation Store, over five months after the platform holder delisted the game.