Last of Us 2 is adding Grounded difficulty, Permadeath mode and a host of modifiers this week
Mirror World, Bullet Speed Mode, Infinite Crafting, One Shot kills and more
Naughty Dog has detailed a major The Last of Us Part 2 update scheduled for release on August 13.
The headline feature of the update is the addition of Grounded mode, which returns from the first game and will be available as a base mode accessible whether you’ve completed the title or not.
Enemies are more lethal in Grounded, while ammo, upgrade and crafting materials are much harder to come by. Listen mode and elements of the HUD are also disabled.
The update also includes a brand new Permadeath mode in which players have a single life to complete the game, although there’s an option to play it with checkpoints on a per-chapter or per-act basis.
New Trophies are being introduced for completing the game on Grounded difficulty or with Permadeath mode enabled.
The update will also include 30 new graphics rendering modes, plus fresh audio and gameplay modifiers, enabling players to change the look and feel of the game.
Naughty Dog says the following modifiers will be accessible from the Extras menu and unlocked after completing the game:
- Mirror World
- Mirror on Death
- Slow Motion
- Bullet Speed Mode
- Infinite Ammo
- Infinite Crafting
- Infinite Melee Durability
- Infinite Listen Mode Range
- One Shot
- Touch of Death
- 8-bit Audio
- 4-bit Audio
- Helium Audio
- Xenon Audio
Additional new options and improvements:
- Saves now display playtime up to the second
- Film Grain Adjustment option
- Disable Listen Mode option
- Motion Sensor Function Aiming option
- Arc Throw HUD Display option
- Aiming Acceleration Scale option
- Aiming Ramp Power Scale option
- Accessibility improvements to Ground Zero encounter, collectible tracking, Enhanced Listen Mode for collectibles, and rope gameplay
Following its release on June 19, The Last of Us Part 2 sales cleared four million copies worldwide in three days, making it the fastest-selling PS4 exclusive to date.