KOTOR remake reportedly moved from Aspyr Media to Saber Interactive
It’s claimed Embracer, Sony and Disney were all unhappy with the progress of the remake
The upcoming Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake is reportedly now under development at Saber Interactive.
According to a Bloomberg source said to be close to the game, the troubled project has been moved from previous developer Aspyr Media to a Saber studio in Eastern Europe.
The game will likely take at least two more years to finish, the site’s source claimed.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake Trailer | PS5
According to the report, Aspyr was relieved of development duties because its owner Embracer, and production partners Lucasfilm and Sony, were all displeased with the progress of the game under its direction.
Embracer had confirmed in May that Aspyr parent company Saber was also working on the game, and some of Bloomberg’s sources said at the time that they believed it was possible the studio had taken over development of the project entirely.
While not mentioning the title by name, Embracer seemingly confirmed last Thursday that the game had switched developers.
“One of the Group’s AAA projects has transitioned to another studio within the Group,” it said. “This was done to ensure the quality bar is where we need it to be for the title. We are not expecting any material delays for the title based on this transition.”
Announced last September for PS5 and PC, the game had been in development for three years at Austin, Texas-based Aspyr, which originally planned to have it ready for release by the end of 2022.
Bloomberg previously reported that Aspyr had fired the game’s former design director Brad Prince and art director Jason Minor in July.
It claimed the pair were dismissed shortly after the studio finalised a demo of the game to show to Lucasfilm and Sony.