Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.
In a statement published on social media, the Japanese publisher said it would no longer be able to present as part of the show due to “timing” issues.
However, it claimed it has “a number of key projects” in the works and will provide updates in the coming months.
“Due to timing we will not be ready to present at E3 this year,” Konami said on Friday. “We want to reassure our fans that we are in deep development on a number of key projects, so please stay tuned for some updates in the coming months.
“While we are not participating this year, we have great respect for the ESA and know that 2021 will be a great success. We will continue to support the ESA and wish the best to all participants in this year’s show.”
Konami has been widely reported as working on new entries for its various game IPs in recent months, including Silent Hill.
VGC first reported Konami’s softening of its stance over licensing its game properties earlier this year, in a report revealing that the company has outsourced a new Silent Hill game.
Konami’s Japanese bosses are understood to have historically pushed back against most pitches to outsource their key games brands, which is a big reason why previous pitches for Silent Hill games, such as one by Until Dawn studio Supermassive, weren’t greenlit.
However, following the disappointing performance of recent in-house titles Metal Gear Survive and Contra: Rogue Corps, VGC’s sources said the company has become more willing to contract outside studios for its major franchises.
In addition to Silent Hill, we were told that Konami has plans to work on Castlevania and Metal Gear Solid games via external companies, but any potential releases are still years away.