While the patch targets several issues including some crashes on start-up, problems saving the game and screenshots, and slowdown mechanics not working as intended, Guerrilla says it’s working on further updates for outstanding issues.
Ahead of the game’s release, the studio listed several known issues including anisotropic filtering settings not working, some systems experiencing “brief stuttering”, and some animations only refreshing at 30fps even if the game is running at a higher frame rate.
And on Friday it detailed additional “high-priority issues” including more crashes, GPU-related hangs during gameplay, and graphical settings issues.
Horizon Zero Dawn PC Patch 1.01
- In addition to the issues identified previously, we’re working on a number of high-priority issues:
- Some players are experiencing startup crashes. Patch 1.01 fixes a few, but not all, of these crashes.
- Some players are experiencing GPU-related hangs during gameplay. The improved diagnostic data collection added in Patch 1.01 is aimed at making it easier to track these down.
- Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering not working, 4K not displaying correctly, or HDR not working correctly.
- Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
- We’re aware of and continue to investigate all issues in this list on Reddit as well. Thank you to u/EvilMonkeySlayer for compiling this for us.
- Fixed an issue where the game would crash if the SteamUI didn’t initialize properly on startup.
Functionality Issue Fixes
- Fixed an issue where Concentration and other slowdown mechanics wouldn’t work for everyone.
- Fixed an issue where Windows/Steam profile names containing special characters would prevent some players from saving the game. We are still investigating other saved game issues as well.
- Fixed an issue where Windows/Steam profile names containing special characters would prevent some players from saving screenshots in Photo Mode.
- Added improved diagnostic data collection when submitting a crash report.
- Fixed several backend issues.
- Fixed a video corruption issue for specific hardware. We’re continuing to look at other hardware configurations as well.
VGC network partner Digital Foundry called Horizon Zero Dawn’s PC port “deeply disappointing” in its technical review of the title.