Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.
There is already a growing selection of mods on the game’s community page, including fan creations based on Star Wars, Monsters Inc and more.
In addition to the tools, Valve has included several sample levels to explain the features added in Alyx. It’s also made the entire set of campaign maps available for editing, including interactive objects and prefabs.
“This is the first Beta release of the Alyx Workshop tools suite, and we intend to add to and improve them in the coming weeks,” it said in a blog post.
Included in this release are new or updated versions of:
- Hammer, the latest version of the Source 2 level editor.
- Material Editor, the tool for creating and tuning materials in Source 2.
- ModelDoc, a tool for viewing, editing, and compiling models with animation, collision, and other gameplay attributes.
- AnimGraph, our animation tool used to create complicated animation setups with blends and transitions.
- Particle Editor, for making new particle effects.
- Subrect Editor, for creating smart texture sheets known as “hotspots.”
- Source Filmmaker, the Source 2 cinematic renderer and animation tool.
Half-Life: Alyx is now among the top-rated PC games of all time, according to review aggregation site Metacritic.
Valve’s VR shooter has a Metascore of 93 based on 76 reviews. The highest-rated PC titles according to Metacritic are Half-Life 2, Grand Theft Auto V, The Orange Box, Half-Life and BioShock, which all have Metascores of 96.
According to the latest Steam Survey data (deconstructed by Road to VR), Alyx’s March release coincided with nearly one million additional VR headsets being registered with Steam, marking a record high.
VGC’s Half-Life: Alyx review calls the shooter “a stunning return for Half-Life and an essential VR purchase – if you have the required equipment and space.”