It also won awards in the Audio Achievement, Music, Narrative and Performer categories.
Elsewhere, puzzle game Return of the Obra Dinn won Artistic Achievement and Game Design awards, while build and play series Nintendo Labo collected the Family and Game Innovation prizes.
Red Dead Redemption 2, which was nominated in six categories, was notably absent from the list of winners, which is posted in full below.
BAFTA Games Awards 2019 winners
- Artistic Achievement – Return of the Obra Dinn
- Audio Achievement – God of War
- Best Game – God of War
- British Game – Forza Horizon 4
- Debut Game – Yoku’s Island Express
- Evolving Game – Fortnite
- Family – Nintendo Labo
- Game Beyond Entertainment – My Child Lebensborn
- Game Design – Return of the Obra Dinn
- Game Innovation – Nintendo Labo
- Mobile Game – Florence
- Multiplayer – A Way Out
- Music – God of War
- Narrative – God of War
- Original Property – Into the Breach
- Performer – Jeremy Davies
- EE Mobile Game of the Year (voted for by the public) – Old School Runescape
Unlike previous entries in the long-running series, which were inspired by Greek mythology, God of War is loosely based on Norse mythology.
The title’s BAFTA success, Barlog added, showed that story-based games are “just as relevant” as the popular battle royale genre. “I think there’s a space for everything,” he said.