Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.
Gamescom‘s organisers have officially confirmed the cancellation of 2020’s physical event due to the coronavirus pandemic.
However, in a statement released on Thursday, Koelnmesse and the German Games Industry Association reiterated that Gamescom 2020 will not be postponed – instead, it will go ahead in a digital format.
“It’s official: unfortunately, Gamescom will under no circumstances take place on site in Cologne this year,” they said.
“We are, however, already working at full speed on a digital Gamescom. It is, after all, the world’s biggest event for games, and that’s what it should be again this year.
“We will reveal more about this in the next few weeks. Until then, stay healthy and don’t forget to “StayHomePlayTogether!”
The physical Gamescom 2020 event was scheduled to take place from August 25-29 but on Wednesday, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said large public gatherings will remain banned until August 31. Gamescom usually attracts in excess of 350,000 people each year.
Discussing the possibility of the physical event being cancelled last month, Koelnmesse managing director Oliver Frese said existing digital formats such as Gamescom: Opening Night Live – which attracted an audience of over 500,000 simultaneous viewers in 2019 – “will be significantly expanded and new modules added.”
“Gamescom and Koelnmesse already rank among the digital pioneers in the international trade fair landscape,” he added. “We therefore also see the current corona crisis as a chance to implement digital event formats even more. Gamescom 2020 offers the perfect platform for this.”