The roadmap outlines future content coming to Fallout 76 this year, including a “major rebalancing” of combat and rewards, C.A.M.P. Shelters, Legendary Perks, plus the start of a yearlong Brotherhood of Steel story arc.
Seasons will introduce a new account-wide progression system to Fallout 76 that overhauls the current Challenge system. Seasons will be available to all players and offer a unified progression path to unlock rewards such as Power Armor paints, C.A.M.P. items or Perk Packs.
In place of the old Challenge system that rewarded Atoms for completing Daily and Weekly Challenges, players will instead earn a new currency: S.C.O.R.E. points. These points will advance players in their Seasonal progression.
“The result is a more engaging, flexible, and fun experience for all types of players,” Bethesda said.
The publisher noted that Seasons are still subject to change based on internal playtests and player feedback, but provided the following details on how they currently work:
- Players will see a new option on the Main Menu that will take them to a uniquely Fallout-themed seasonal progression screen. During Season 1, this will be a Captain Cosmos-themed boardgame!
- All players begin at the first space on the board — Rank 1 out of 100. Advancing along the board involves acquiring a new type of currency, S.C.O.R.E., obtainable through the revamped Challenge system and other in-game activities.
- Challenges will be less complicated and easier to complete, typically involving activities players would complete by playing Fallout 76 as they normally would.
- Rewards are handed out at every rank, with bigger rewards the more you advance and at specific milestones (Rank 25, 50, 76, etc.).
- Players will have the option to spend 150 Atoms to skip ranks after the first two weeks of a Season. After two weeks, players can move ahead in ranks by spending Atoms as a means for those late to a Season a chance to catch up.
- Seasons will run for 10 weeks with a two-week break between the end of one season the start of the next.
The inaugural Season kicks off with Patch 20 this Summer. More details can be found over on the Bethesda website.