Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.
A senior Electronic Arts communications director has sympathised with fans frustrated by the extended wait for Battlefield 6’s reveal, but pleaded for a bit more patience.
DICE published an update on its Battlefield 6 progress on April 22, claiming the game has its biggest ever series development team and telling fans to expect a reveal “soon” – wording echoed on the game’s social media channels.
But on Monday, following claims that the game’s reveal had been delayed from early May, the official Battlefield Twitter account confirmed that the next title in the series won’t be revealed until June.
The news didn’t go down well with some members of the Battlefield community, as acknowledged by Andy McNamara, director of comms for shooters and Star Wars at EA.
“If I read my tweets, I believe a number of Battlefield fans are calling that I get sacked already,” he wrote. “I understand your frustration, but I can tell you I’m killing myself to deliver something I think you’ll love when the time is right. Patience please.
“I should add, the entire team is, so hang in there please,” he said in a follow-up message.
EA said in February that DICE was “way ahead” of schedule with development of Battlefield 6 as the publisher geared up to reveal the title.
“We will reveal the game in the spring and deliver a defining Battlefield experience for our players in holiday 2021,” said EA CEO Andrew Wilson.
The publisher reiterated the game’s holiday release window as part of its full-year earnings results on Tuesday, when it said the game will be released during its fiscal third quarter ending on December 31, 2021.
“The game has everything fans love about Battlefield,” Wilson said on Tuesday’s earnings call. “We’re excited to reveal the game to fans next month and share a lot more over the summer.”