Tuesday’s announcement was made during the publisher’s second quarter earnings call, during which it also revealed that Call of Duty Warzone has attracted over 75 million players since launching in March 2020, and Call of Duty Mobile has surpassed 250 million downloads since releasing in October 2019.
“Activision will continue to build on its direct digital relationship with this expanded community as it delivers the next premium instalment for Call of Duty, which comes from the wholly owned Call of Duty studios Treyarch and Raven Software,” said Activision Blizzard chief operating officer Daniel Alegre. “We’re excited for its planned release later this year.”
Activision president Robert Kostich added later in the call: “Treyarch and Raven are coming up with the next premium game and [we’re] obviously very excited about what they’re working on and we do think fans are going to absolutely love it. The game looks incredible right now and internally people are having a ton of fun playing across its campaign mode as well as the online modes the developers are very well known for.”
Earlier this year sources told VGC the new Black Ops will include its own game modes such as campaign, multiplayer and zombies, but will also incorporate Warzone like Infinity Ward has done with Modern Warfare.
In May Warzone kicked off a meta-game which sources indicated would conclude with the unveiling of the next premium Call of Duty game, Black Ops: Cold War.
And on Tuesday Activision gave the clearest indication yet that Call of Duty 2020 will be announced via Warzone.