With most major titles now released, review aggregation site Metacritic has revealed the best 15 games of 2019, according to weighted average scores from its approved critics.
Launched in 1999, Metacritic says it curates reviews from only “the world’s most respected critics.”
According to its rankings, Capcom’s Resident Evil 2 was the highest reviewed game of 2019, followed by From Software’s Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (which VGC gave 5/5) and Final Fantasy XIV expansion Shadowbringers.
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (No. 8) is the highest rated Nintendo game of the year according to Metacritic (VGC score: 4/5), followed by Super Mario Maker 2 (12) and The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (14).
Metacritic’s Metascore is a weighted average it comes to by assigning more importance, or weight, to some critics and publications than others, based on “their quality and overall stature.”
Best 15 games of 2019 by Metacritic score
(not including ports)
- Resident Evil 2 (Metascore: 93)
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (Metascore: 91)
- Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers (Metascore: 91)
- Monster Hunter: World – Iceborne (Metascore: 90)
- Disco Elysium (Metascore: 90)
- F1 2019 (Metascore: 89)
- Devil May Cry 5 (Metascore: 89)
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Metascore: 89)
- Slay the Spire (Metascore: 89)
- Apex Legends (Metascore: 89)
- Asgard’s Wrath (Metascore: 88)
- Super Mario Maker 2 (Metascore: 88)
- Baba is You (Metascore: 87)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Metascore: 87)
- Astral Chain (Metascore: 87)