Notice: To display this embed please allow the use of Functional Cookies in Cookie Preferences.
Battlefield Portal lets players mix new and classic content to create custom experiences
DICE calls new 2042 mode “a love letter to Battlefield fans”
EA has announced Battlefield 2042’s Portal mode, described as “a love letter to Battlefield fans” and incorporating maps and content from past series entries.
Developed by Ripple Effect Studios (previously DICE LA), Battlefield Portal will allow players to design their own match experiences with custom rules, equipment and more, such as pitting one faction against another from a totally different game.
These experiences can be shared with the community through a web-based platform for both console and PC players, EA said.
“Battlefield Portal is a true love letter to our long-time fans,” said Justin Wiebe, senior design director at Ripple Effect Studios. “We’ve created a set of tools that gives the community the ability to create their own Battlefield experiences using iconic maps from the series for our players, both old and new, to enjoy.”
Battlefield Portal will include all content from 2042, as well as six additional maps from three past titles, plus vehicles, weapons, gadgets, factions and classes from each of these games.
The Battlefield Portal launch content will include:
- Battle of the Bulge and El Alamein from Battlefield 1942
- Arica Harbor and Valparaiso from Battlefield: Bad Company 2
- Caspian Border and Noshahr Canals from Battlefield 3
- 40+ Weapons from 3 Theaters of War
- M1 Garand, Panzerschreck, G3, M416 and more
- Plus the inclusion of Battlefield 2042’s All-Out Warfare Arsenal
- 40+ Vehicles from 3 Theaters of War
- The Spitfire and B17 Bomber make their return alongside modern hardware such as the Quad Bike and Little Bird
- Plus the inclusion of Battlefield 2042’s All-Out Warfare array of vehicles
- 30+ Gadgets from 3 Theaters of War
- Reconnaissance items such as the MAV and Radio Beacon will be available as gadget selections alongside the Defibrillator and EOD Bot
- Plus the inclusion of Battlefield 2042’s Gadgets
- Classic Factions will be making their return in Battlefield Portal as you remember them, allowing you the ability to mix and match between 7 different armies from the Classic titles as well as Battlefield 2042’s Specialists
- Armies such as 1942’s UK, US, and Germany as well as Bad Company 2’s US and Russia will feature exclusively in Battlefield Portal
- The return of Factions to Battlefield Portal, we will also mean that we are bringing back soldier archetypes as you know them to be within their relevant titles. As an example, Battlefield 3’s Assault, Engineer, Support and Recon roles make their return in Battlefield Portal
In Builder, players will be able to change the settings and logic of matches using an advanced logic editor, EA said. Customisable features include:
Maps – Pick from the selection of 13 available maps
- Modes – Choose from a range of game modes – weather it be more established modes like Rush or Conquest, or starting with something completely custom
- Mode Settings – Fine tune various details within the mode including:
- Factions – choose which soldiers, weapons and vehicles can compete on the battlefield
- Mobility – Toggle players’ ability to Aim Down Sights, go prone and more o Visibility – Toggle Heads’ Up Display and minimap visibility for players
- Arsenal – Restrict weapons, Specialists, gear and vehicles that players have access to in matches
- Scale – Adjust the balance of each battle by controlling the max number of players in each team as well as which weapons they have access to
- Team Select – The ability to put different teams and eras of soldiers against each other
- Weapon/Gadget/Vehicle Restrictions – Fine tune which soldiers should be available from eat faction, which weapons and attachments they can use, which vehicles are available and how to access them
- Settings – Players can use these to refine the experience they want to make, toggling options liek core game mode rules, soldier settings, vehicle settings and UI settings
- Logic Editor – Additional options to cater to unique experiences, allowing players to define rules, set victory conditions, team scale and specific in-game events.