Battlefield 2042’s new Hazard Zone mode has been detailed via a leak, ahead of its official reveal later on Thursday.
While developer DICE is set to unveil Hazard Zone via a trailer debuting at 8am PT / 11am ET / 4pm BST, information about the new game type has been published early by reliable industry insider Tom Henderson.
The mode reportedly tasks four-player squads with competing to locate downed satellites containing data drives before extracting the intel.
UPDATE: Battlefield 2042’s new Hazard Zone mode has been officially detailed alongside the release of its debut trailer (top) and screenshots (below).
Playable on all seven Battlefield 2042 All-Out Warfare maps, EA says Hazard Zone matches consist of five main phases:
- Strategize & Equip, where players confirm their insertion point, choose their Specialist and select their loadout and Tactical Upgrades
- Insert, deploying to the predetermined insertion points
- Retrieve, where squads will deploy their Intel Scanner and face off against enemy squads, Occupying Forces and the world itself
- First Extraction, the first of two options for ensuring survival
- Last Extraction, where the remaining squads must fight over who will escape and who will die trying
ORIGINAL STORY CONTINUES: As well as competing with other squads for the data drives, the objectives are guarded by enemy AI.
There are apparently only two extraction opportunities available during each match and environmental hazards include tornados than can spawn.
Once drives are extracted, players are rewarded with a Hazard Zone specific currency called Dark Market Credits which can be used to buy weapons, gadgets and upgrades for future matches.
Downed players can reportedly be revived, while killed players can be brought back via Reinforcement Uplinks dotted around the game map.
DICE has described Hazard Zone as “an all-new, high-stakes, squad-based game-type for the Battlefield franchise that is a modern take on the multiplayer experience that is distinctly DICE but very different from All-Out Warfare’s Conquest or Breakthrough modes”.
Hazard Zone’s debut trailer will air at the same time as rival military shooter Call of Duty: Vanguard reveals its Zombies mode.