The free add-on shifts the game’s emphasis towards the mining of coal and metal resources, with players able to create advanced railroad networks and new Mk 3 Bots.
The expansion also adds mod support, with players able to upload and download custom scripts, upgrades, buildings and other content to the game via Steam Workshop.
Autonauts is the latest title from Gary Penn, former creative director at Grand Theft Auto and Lemmings studio DMA Design.
The game sees players visit procedurally generated planets and harness their natural resources to build an army of programmable AI helpers to aid their colonisation efforts.
Penn said of the latest expansion in a statement: “Who doesn’t love trains? I know I do! And I’m sure Autonauteers old and new will too… Can’t wait to see what joyous madness they make with their automated railways – not to mention the modding!
“There’s so much good stuff in our first big update: so many new things to play with and new ways to play and a whole bunch of lovely improvements, many of those inspired by the ever-awesome Autonauts community and their votes on the public suggestions list.”
Autonauts Industrial Revolution expansion
New Modding Support
- Players can now upload and download custom scripts, upgrades, buildings and other content to the game via Steam Workshop.
New Train Networks
- For the first time players can build advanced rail networks and infrastructure to ferry goods and resources around their expanding colonies
- 20 different new structures and 4 new core vehicles including Train Engine and multiple freight options
New Colonist Evolution
- Expand the evolution of your colonists with the addition of two entirely new categories on the in-game ‘Pyramid to Transcendance’: Health and Education. Make use of leeches and flowers to dispense medicinal aid to sick colonists and ensure they continue generating Wuv, and raise their undernourished intellect with books.
New Tools & Upgrades
- Steam Hammer
- Jacquard Power Loom
- Super Backpack to store more items
- Memory Upgrade so bots can perform more advanced routines
- Printing Press
- Paper Mill
- Two-Storey Brick House and Mansion
Suitably Dickensian attire
- Shirt and Tie, Coat and Scarf, Blazer and Cravat
- Horse and Carriage