On several occasions during the company’s first quarter earnings call on Tuesday, he also teased a “major event” coming to Apex Legends season 2 in the next few weeks.
Apex Legends season 2, titled Battle Charge, launched at the start of July.
“To date it has outperformed our expectations with significant growth in daily and weekly active players,” EA CEO Andrew Wilson said, before later adding that 8-10 million people are engaging with Apex Legends on a weekly basis.
“In each season there are in-game events that are additional drivers of engagement, such as the event coming in the next few weeks that will bring new content and one of the most fan requested features since the launch of Apex,” he said.
“There’ll be more updates and in-game experiences in the weeks to come for season 2, and season 3 is shaping up to be even bigger.”
Wilson said EA sees multiple growth opportunities for Apex Legends, including previously revealed plans to bring the series to mobile devices worldwide, and to launch the franchise in China.
“Our plans to bring Apex Legends to China, and a worldwide mobile launch, are also on course, and we will share more on our plans in the future,” he said.
Jorgensen, who said EA hopes to have a 10-year run with Apex Legends, later said the company doesn’t expect to bring the series to mobile or the Chinese market during the current business year ending in March 2020.
“I would assume it’s a [financial year] 21 event in both cases,” he said.
During the earnings call, Wilson also explained EA’s lack of support for Nintendo Switch and confirmed plans to reveal the new Need for Speed game in the coming weeks, while Jorgensen said EA has been working on games for next-gen consoles like Xbox Scarlett and PlayStation 5 “for some time”.