Animal Crossing: New Horizons reviews have gone live ahead of the game’s release this week.
VGC’s Animal Crossing: New Horizons review says the “comforting life sim is a tranquil haven at a time the world needs it most”.
- Related: Animal Crossing guide – 21 tips for a happy island life
Animal Crossing: New Horizons review round-up
- VGC (5/5) – “New Horizons does more than enough to build on previous Animal Crossings and easily joins the list of software every Nintendo Switch owner should pick up.”
- Nintendo Life (10/10) – “Animal Crossing: New Horizons takes Animal Crossing and not only drags it back onto home consoles, but improves upon every single facet imaginable… This is a masterpiece that has been well worth waiting for.”
- VentureBeat (95/100) – “The best thing I can say about New Horizons is that I think it’s going to win over some players who previously bounced off the franchise. And it will do so without losing any longtime fans in the process. Those players will find more to love than ever before.”
- Wccftech (9.4/10) – “Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the biggest reinvention of the series’ mechanics and core gameplay loop, and that also makes it the best entry yet… If you’ve ever had a love slow-paced social sims like Animal Crossing or The Sims, this game is essential.”
- Game Informer (9/10) – “Animal Crossing: New Horizons has something new to experience every day, and, best of all, it’s built on a foundation of joy and earnestness that’s all too rare.”
- Trusted Reviews (5/5) – “Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the best game I’ve played this year, and immediately cements itself as one of the generation’s defining experiences.”
- God is a Geek (10/10) – “A beautiful, welcoming game that is everything and anything you want it to be. This is one you’ll play all year and beyond, and it’s exactly what the world needs right now.”
- Eurogamer (Essential) – “Probably the best this series has ever had to offer and therefore one of Nintendo’s very best games to date.”
- Destructoid (8.5/10) – “18 days is far too little time to generate a comprehensive assessment of Animal Crossing: New Horizons. There is still much I don’t know about this game, including how in-game purchases will ultimately be incorporated. But based on what I have been able to experience, it’s what I’ve wanted Animal Crossing to be for many years.”
- Daily Star (5/5) – “Similar to how Breath of the Wild and Odyssey reimagined 3D Zelda and Mario, New Horizons represents an exciting new milestone for the Animal Crossing series. By truly handing the player the reins, Nintendo has delivered a deeply customisable and effortlessly joyous experience which is, quite simply, an essential purchase for all Switch owners.”
- USgamer (4.5/5) – “Animal Crossing: New Leaf remains the pinnacle of the series, but New Horizons brings with it a bunch welcome quality of life changes, such as terraforming the island to your every whim.”
- TheSixthAxis (9/10) – “All of the charms of the series’ previous games are here, but with gorgeous new graphics, DIY crafting and the eventual ability to remodel your island, you can really create the island settlement of your dreams.”
- IGN (9/10) – “Animal Crossing: New Horizons is an expanded, polished, next-generation reboot of a classic Nintendo game that’s full of surprises.”
- Telegraph (10/10) – “It shines at every moment.. Add dozens of much needed quality of life features (hello player customisation, autosave, couch co-op, and eight-player online play) and it all adds up to the perfect DIY recipe for the most chilled out, relaxing, and engaging life simulator ever.”
- VG247 (5/5) – “Animal Crossing: New Horizons is everything I hoped it would be, and it’s yet another stellar release that showcases a confident Nintendo at its best. It is excellent, and is easily another must-own Switch title – at least, if you can understand and embrace Animal Crossing’s uniquely lazy pace.”
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Nintendo Switch Lite
Some external links on this page are affiliate links, if you click on our affiliate links and make a purchase we might receive a commission.