As previously hinted, the update will include fan requested character Brewster and his coffee shop the Roost, which will be located on the second floor of the museum.
The update will also introduce new character Kapp’n, who will take players to different islands on his boat, among other features.
Nintendo said the upcoming version 2.0 update will be the game’s last major free content update. It will launch alongside a premium Animal Crossing: New Horizons expansion called Happy Home Paradise.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons version 2.0
- Brewster Will Open a Café: Something new is coming to a corner of the museum. The quiet proprietor Brewster will open the Roost after you fulfill a certain favor for museum director Blathers. The Roost is a new location to take a relaxing break in and enjoy some hand-selected coffee. You may run into some island residents here, too. If you use the amiibo phone inside the café, you can invite other characters to join you by using compatible amiibo cards. If you’d like, you can even invite friends*** to your island and bring them to the Roost to enjoy relaxing cups of joe together.
- Take a Boat Tour With Kapp’n: Kapp’n hangs out at the pier and will take you to one of the remote islands on his boat. The sea shanty he serenades you with along the way is also part of the fun! You may arrive at islands with mysterious flora that’s never been seen before, or islands with different seasons and times of day. What kind of mysteries await?
- Unearth Gyroids: So far, fossils could be dug up from the ground, and now you can also find gyroids. Each gyroid plays unique sounds. You can even customize them to match their surroundings when you place them!
- Shop at the Open Market on Harv’s Island: Harv’s Island is undergoing a renewal. With a little help from his friend Harriet, Harvey is inviting some shops to the island for an open market. Contribute Bells to the cause to help make it happen! Familiar visitors on your island like Redd, Saharah and Kicks will have shops here now, and Reese & Cyrus’s shop will offer furniture customization that can’t be done through DIY workbenches. At Katrina’s shop, she’ll look at your fortune of the day. Harriet can even teach you some different hairstyles!
- Get Cooking: Cooking will be added to DIY recipes. After growing vegetables in your garden like tomatoes, wheat, sugarcane, potatoes and carrots, you can combine your harvest or other ingredients and fill up your dining table with delicious looking dishes. Enjoy while it’s hot!
- Further Support to Your Island Life: Nook, Inc. will offer further support for your island life. From group stretching at the plaza and bigger home storage, to the Resident Representative being able to establish ordinances like reducing the rate at which weeds grow or making all the residents get up early in the morning, there are more options to help you enjoy and adjust the island to fit your lifestyle.
Paid DLC Happy Home Paradise tasks players with helping characters acquire their dream vacation home. It’s set on an archipelago, with different islands having different appearances and features to choose from.
Priced at $24.99, Happy Home Paradise will also be available as part of a $49.99 Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership, which includes access to a selection of N64 and Mega Drive / Genesis games.
Happy Home Paradise isn’t a standalone product, so players will need to own a copy of Animal Crossing: New Horizons to use the DLC.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons released in March 2020 and as of this June it had shipped 33.89 million copies, making it Switch’s second best-selling game.