Disney Dreamlight Valley: how to change a character’s role
How to use Role Training Manuals to give your villagers a different bonus skill
Disney Dreamlight Valley character roles are a way for players to get extra bonuses when performing tasks around the village.
There are five different roles in the game – Digging, Fishing, Foraging, Gardening and Mining.
Each time you befriend a new character you get the option to assign a role to them, and they’ll give you a bonus for that particular action if you ask them to follow you.
But how do you change a character’s role if you no longer want them to have a particular skill? That’s where this guide comes in.
Disney Dreamlight Valley – The 5 roles
There are five roles in Dreamlight Valley, each giving a different bonus.
To get the bonus, all you have to do is walk over to a character and ask them to hang out with you.
For as long as that character accompanies you, if you perform the task that matches their role, you’ll get a bonus.
Here’s what the five different roles do:
- Digging – if you use your shovel to dig something up, there’s a chance the character will spawn a duplicate.
- Fishing – if you use your rod to catch a fish, there’s a chance the character will spawn a duplicate.
- Foraging – if you pick wild crops or fruits (in other words, any ingredients you don’t plant yourself), there’s a chance the character will spawn a duplicate.
- Gardening – if you harvest any crops that you previously planted in the ground, there’s a chance the character will spawn a duplicate.
- Mining – if you use your pickaxe to get gems from rocks, there’s a chance the character will spawn a duplicate.
What’s more, if you perform a task that matches your accompanying character’s role, their friendship meter will grow a little quicker than usual.
Disney Dreamlight Valley – How to change a role with Training Manuals
Let’s say you assigned a character a certain role and you’ve decided you no longer want them to have it.
For example, maybe you gave Maui a Gardening role but have now realised he gets in the way when you’re trying to pick up glowing golden crops.
Until recently, a character was stuck with the role you originally assigned them, but now that’s changed.
As of the game’s February 16, 2023 update, you can now craft Role Training Manuals, which let you change a character’s role.
To do this, there are five different Training Manuals which you can now craft and give to your character of choice.
To craft each Training Manual, you need the following items.
- Digging Training Manual – 500 Dreamlight, 20 Pebbles, 20 Sand, 30 Soil
- Fishing Training Manual – 500 Dreamlight, 2 Swordfish, 5 Bream, 10 Herring
- Foraging Training Manual – 500 Dreamlight, 30 Banana, 20 Blueberry, 10 Basil
- Gardening Training Manual – 500 Dreamlight, 40 Corn, 60 Tomato, 20 Carrot
- Mining Training Manual – 500 Dreamlight, 2 Topaz, 2 Aquamarine, 2 Peridot
Once you’ve crafted the Training Manual you want, all you have to do is find the character whose role you want to change and gift them the Training Manual. They’ll accept it, and their role will change.
Interestingly, by doing this you can give Ariel the Fishing role, which you can’t do through the first time you befriend her (presumably because she isn’t a fan of fishing). It’s not clear if this is a bug, but if you want to have Ariel as your fishing buddy, this is the way to do it.